Pages


The Mission

My name is Bridie, and I am a 27 year old female who wishes to share with you her life in cakes.

The trouble with cake is that it doesn't last very long, and when you have slaved over a hot stove and turned your kitchen into a bomb site only to have crumbs left as evidence, you start to wonder....if a cake gets eaten in a kitchen, and no one sees it, was it really baked?

From now on, I'm going to make a fuss about my baking, and make every week a tea party. I'm going to prove you can have your cake and eat it. The aim is to bake something different each week and give you a taste of the creations via this blog. Armed with my wooden spoon in one hand and an oven glove in the other, I am embarking on a journey that will take me to the final frontier of sugary delights. From the perils of Baked Alaska, to the glory of a Manchester Tart - who knows where this quest will lead! Join me to find out 'What Bridie Baked'....

Monday 19 July 2010

Cake 20 - Pineapple Upside-down Cake


This week I went retro, and decided it was time to bring back that old favourite ‘Pineapple Upside-down Cake’. This topsy turvy treat is one of my all time favourites, and I can remember my mother baking it when I was a kid. There’s nothing like a good slice of nostalgia!

After last week’s Whoopie Pies, I was looking for a cake that was a little less labour intensive, and not as messy. I was still picking up hundreds and thousands from the kitchen floor as late as yesterday, after my enthusiastic sprinkling. Poor Miffy (the house rabbit) must have felt like she was slipping on marbles all week!

The great thing about a pineapple upside-down cake is that it’s very easy to make. I don’t even need a recipe book to make this cake. It’s just a basic sponge recipe poured into a round tin over the pineapple rings, with cherries in the middle. So when Tobey woke me from my sleep to ask what I wanted from the supermarket on Sunday morning, I was able to rattle off a list of ingredients with the speed and accuracy of ‘The Rain Man.’

The preparation went according to plan, and I even got transported back to my childhood by drinking the pineapple juice from the tinned pineapple. Unlike my childhood, I risked life and lip by drinking it straight from the tin. What would my mother say?! After an hour of cooking on a low heat, the cake was ready, and the kitchen smelt like a tropical paradise.

Tobey had a slice or two, and I took a third of the cake to my friend Julie’s house. This is the same Julie who suggested Whoopie Pies, and who has been a loyal follower of this blog.

We had a wonderful dinner, followed by my pineapple upside-down cake, with strawberries on the side. It was delicious, and even Julie’s Dad who said he wasn’t keen on pineapple in cakes, was converted.

All that is left of the cake now is the rejected glace cherries on the cake board. I have a love hate relationship with glace cherries. Their radioactive glow is great from a decoration point of view, but they have a very over-processed sugary taste that’s a bit over the top sometimes.

Julie’s mum Doris very kindly gave me a fabulous ‘Cakes of the World’ recipe book, which I will be baking something out of very soon.

Next week though, we have a ‘What Bridie Baked’ extravaganza where I will be baking physics themed cakes, with my cousin Rosie in Bristol.

Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment