Pages


The Mission

My name is Bridie, and I am a 27 year old female who wishes to share with you her life in cakes.

The trouble with cake is that it doesn't last very long, and when you have slaved over a hot stove and turned your kitchen into a bomb site only to have crumbs left as evidence, you start to wonder....if a cake gets eaten in a kitchen, and no one sees it, was it really baked?

From now on, I'm going to make a fuss about my baking, and make every week a tea party. I'm going to prove you can have your cake and eat it. The aim is to bake something different each week and give you a taste of the creations via this blog. Armed with my wooden spoon in one hand and an oven glove in the other, I am embarking on a journey that will take me to the final frontier of sugary delights. From the perils of Baked Alaska, to the glory of a Manchester Tart - who knows where this quest will lead! Join me to find out 'What Bridie Baked'....

Monday 2 August 2010

American Pecan Pie

You wouldn’t think that vampire series ‘True Blood’ would provide baking inspiration, but that is exactly what happened when I watched series one. The series is set in Louisiana, and is full of good old fashioned southern manners, traditional home cooking, sex, and vampires.

For those of you who haven’t seen the show, there is a sad scene where Sookie (one of the main characters) is eating her late Gran’s Pecan Pie. It may be an emotional scene, but all I could think of was the pie. Ever since I saw it I have been dying to bake one, but have been waiting for just the right moment.

So when my friend Bob, who happens to be a great photographer, offered to take some professional photos of my next baking creation - I knew that it had to be Pecan Pie.

This week I feel compelled to do a little history lesson, and tell you about the past of the Pecan Pie. Although the exact origins are unclear, it is said that this pie hails from the French settlement in Louisiana around the 18th century. Pecan trees grow in this area, and can produce edible nuts for more than three hundred years. It’s amazing to think that the Pecan trees that were first used to make Pecan Pie for those early settlers, could still be producing Pecans for pies now!

First I made the pastry for the crust, which was unusual in that it contained a good dose of sugar and four egg yolks. Then I melted the butter, sugar, and syrup, and added three whisked eggs before pouring into the pastry case. I know what you’re thinking, ‘heart attack food’, but my Grandma always told me that a little bit of what you fancy does you good, and my Grandma is right about everything.

The recipe didn’t tell me to blind bake the pastry case before putting in the filling, which made me as nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room of rocking chairs (southern saying). I had visions of soggy pastry, but decided that if the recipe had been around for three hundred years I should trust it.

Once the filling was in the pastry case, I placed Pecan nut halves on top, in a neat circular pattern. The recipe suggested putting them in any old way, but there is no way I could have ruined the symmetrical look of the dish. OCD? Definitely.

After about forty minutes in the oven the pie had turned golden brown, and the filling had set completely. It looked fantastic, and I was especially pleased, seeing as it was going to be subjected to a professional photo shoot.

The next day my kitchen became a photographic studio complete with lights, and other paraphernalia that I can’t remember the exact name of. Bob, you are not included under the term ‘paraphernalia’ - I do remember your name!

I am sure you will agree that the photo looks fantastic. If Playboy did a pie centre fold - this would be it.

I was relieved that the pastry was not soggy as I had feared, but just right. The Pecan Pie had a surprising texture too, not at all what I had imagined. The texture of the filling was almost like custard, but the taste was of buttery sweetness. Of course the Pecan crunch topped things off nicely, and I have to say I think they are a real ‘nut’s nut.’

After the success of the Pecan Pie, I now have a bit of a fascination with American desserts. America offers a whole continent of cakes and pies to be discovered, and I’m sure it won’t be long before Mississippi Mud Pie and Pumpkin Pie make it on to here.

Thanks y’all for stopping by! You’ve made me as happy as a clam!

3 comments:

  1. Looks Great! Let me know if you need any american recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nom nom nom

    I LOVE pecan pie. This looks delish!

    And you are so right about the nut placement. Asymmetry is evil!

    Charl x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather - that would be great. Can you suggest some recipes that you remember from when you were a kid? Sometimes people's family recipes are the best :)

    Charl - I'm glad you're with me on the symmetry thing!

    ReplyDelete